The course is designed for members of the library community who do not have formal library training. It will help you understand basic information about how to assign and use subject headings. If you have not yet done so, you may want to take our course: Introduction to Technical Services and Catalog, which gives a basic understanding of cataloging that may be helpful for you to have before taking this course.
The course is divided into eight sections. Each section has one or more web pages, plus a self-evaluation test. You will typically move ahead in the course by correctly answering the last question on each self-evaluation. The course takes approximately two hours to complete. If you have stopped working on the course and wish to re-enter at a section, you may do so by clicking on the objective for the section in the list below.
At the end of the course is an examination. Idaho library staff members or trustees completing the examination will be eligible to receive a certificate of completion for the course. Send a copy of the final page of the course to the Continuing Education Consultant, Idaho Commission for Libraries, 325 W. State Street, Boise, Idaho 83702. Or fax it to 208-334-4016.
Completion of all Alternative Basic Library Education (ABLE) courses will earn a certificate of completion for the ABLE program. For more information contact the Continuing Education Consultant Team using our online contact form.
In this course you will learn:
1. The purpose of subject headings.
2. How subject heading lists are organized and the terminology in the Library of Congress Subject Headings.
3. The types of subject headings.
4. Different forms of subject headings.
5. How subdivisions are used in subject headings.
6. General considerations in assigning subject headings.
7. How to use the Library of Congress Subject Headings list to assign subject headings.
8. How and where to place subject headings in the cataloging record.
9. The additional access points that need to be included in a cataloging record.
Click the arrow below to continue to the next page